Tuesday 26 November 2013

Neon Colouring Tutorial

Hello all,

Thought I'd share a tutorial that I did that was up on the Scrap Friends blog last week.
It is a colouring technique I have used for two recent layouts. I have used it to colour the leaves and flowers as well as the yellow matting for my photo in the first layout, and for the waves in the second layout:


What I have done is use a highlighter pen as the base, then added extra colour over it. I find by using the highlighter pen, it gives a greater intensity of colour. If you are lucky enough to have one of the Hero Arts neon stamp pads, this will probably work as well.

Anyway, after highlighting, you can add colour using a number of different mediums. For the example I have made up a chart. In the first column, is the original highlighter colour. In the second column, I have used Distress Ink Pads then splattered with water. In the last column, I have used a variety of different mediums including Gelatos, sprays and Twinkling H2O's:



You can see in the example above,  the difference in colour that is achieved by using a different under colour highlighter. Regarding the colouring of my flowers in the first layout, I used a combination of Distress Ink Pads and Gelatos, which I smudged with a foam pad.


For the ocean, I used two different colours. Blue and green highlighters and Distress Ink Pads in Salty Ocean and Peacock Feathers (my favourite colour of all):



I used Salty Ocean along the top, which as you would expect, makes the blue highlighter colour, bluer. The Peacock Feathers gives, what I think, a better 'ocean' colour, but I really like the mix of colours. To intensify the colour further, I then added Glitter Glam. This is a liquid 'paint' that gives only a hint of colour and that has glitter added. It is applied with a brush. I have used Caspian Sea which is a gorgeous colour:




You can see above, the hint of glitter. I used my Silhouette to cut out the shape of the waves and as a highlighter, I used a white PITT artist pen. And then the waves are finished!  

Thank you for popping by.
Zeneva.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh looks amazing!!! I love love love love those colors!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorila! Thank you for inspiring - need to share this at my Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your tutorial Zeneva, its great to see what others are experimenting with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pages so full of techniques and colour!
    Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work and tutorial! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your tips.. I love reading about new things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wonderful, beautifully coloured pages ! Thank you for sharing your technique...I love rich deep colour and your little trick looks like it works beautifully...I will go in search of highlighter pens......x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of those layouts are SERIOUSLY awesome.... FANTASTIC tutorial... THANKS heaps for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one of them and it always warms my heart. Have a great day!